The children at Vale View Nursery follow the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum (EYFS). The curriculum underpins all future learning by supporting, fostering, promoting and developing children’s
- Personal, social and emotional development - managing feelings and behaviour, self-confidence & self awareness
- Communication & Language - listening & attention, understanding & speaking
- Physical development - moving & handling, health and self-care
- Literacy - reading and writing
- Maths - number and Shape, space & measure
- Understanding of the world - people & communities, technology & the world
- Expressive arts and design - exploring & using media and materials and being imaginative
The EYFS also includes the Characteristics of Effective Learning. They highlight the importance of a child’s attitude to learning and their ability to play, explore and think critically about the world around them.
The three characteristics are:
Playing and Exploring – children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’.
Active Learning – children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties and enjoy their achievement.
Creating and Thinking Critically – children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
The curriculum builds on the learning experiences that children encounter during their time in Nursery. Staff work hard to try to ensure that learning opportunities are fun and engaging and cover all the areas of learning as identified through the EYFS curriculum. Children have ownership of their learning and we build topics around their interests to maximise their enthusiasm and potential to learn.